Advertisement

Mormon theology in the New BSG

topic posted Sun, August 21, 2005 - 12:31 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
The old series had a lot of parallels to Momon History and Theology (the Kobol/Kolob connection, ect...)

read here if your not familier with them

www.google.com/search

With the heavy religious tone in this version, I'm wondering if anyone has seen any new parallels, mormon or otherwise...
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Mormon theology in the New BSG

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 1:40 AM
    I'm just wondering wwhat the fleet is gonna think of the Earth run by Monotheists....

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 8:46 AM
      Earth is run by Monotheists?

That's awfully ethnocentric of you. Have you ever considered how many Hindus and Buddhists there are in the world? Atheists? Or that at least one of the major technological/industrial powers in the world is Japan, where Shintoism iis one of the major religions.

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 11:18 AM
        The show is made in the US/UK. Somehow, they all speak English. What are the odds they'll "find" India first? Remember Galactica 1980? Wasn't it convenient that they landed in Southern California?

I'm well aware of the statistical layout of world population and religions. I'm also pretty confident in my assessment of military might around the world. And right now, I think Galactica would also be looking in that diirection, particularly if the president dies before getting here.
        • Unsu...

Re: Mormon theology in the New BSG

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 7:25 PM
          The largest Army in the world is the Chinese Army: officially Atheist, technically Confucianist/Buddhist.

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 7:36 PM
            You are all assuming the Earth is BSG is our Earth. It is a fictional show after all. Even if it was similiar, how many events occured in our history that went another way would have probably changed everything dramtically. Examples: what if one of the numerous assassination attempts against Hitler (some by his own people) had succeeded? Whta if Lincoln hadnt been killed? What if Gettysburg had gone differently and the confederacy had won the war? The list could go on and on.

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 11:22 PM
          > The show is made in the US/UK.

Actually, last I checked, Battlestar Galactica is filmed in British Columbia, which is in Canada, which is neither part of the United States, nor, despite membership in the Britsh Commonwealth, part of the United Kingdom.

The number of weird, coincidences between the world of the Colonies and those of our own Earth tell me that the Earth they do encounter will not be a doppelganger of our own. After all, what is the likelihood that two civilizations will both have personal and family names like, Lee, William, Gaeta, Kelly, Karl, Agathon, Thrace, Sharon, Shelia, Gina, Godfrey, Ellen, Laura, Roslin, etc. etc. along side the neckties, and the Greco-Roman mythology.
      • Unsu...

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 7:34 PM
        >Or that at least one of the major technological/industrial powers in the world is Japan, where Shintoism iis one of the major religions.

Shintoism in Japan is not so much a religion (anymore) as it is a set of cultural traditions. What's the difference you ask? The Japanese don't place any faith in the rituals. The Japanese tend towards being non-religious or Zen Buddhist.

But that's just mincing words. You are right that Japan is the second richest country in the world and except for the minority of Christians in the country, essentially polytheistic.

However, Ted-War has a point that the BSG folks would probably run into Monotheists first, being that the two largest religions in the world are Christianity and Islam. Of course, third is Hinduism. ;)

That assumes that the BSG people were to land on Earth in the present day. We don't really know what point in Earth-time this is supposed to take place. Maybe the distant past? Maybe the far future? Maybe last year? Maybe the time of the Eloi and the Morlocks?

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 11:36 PM
          > Shintoism in Japan is not so much a religion... as it is a set of cultural traditions.

Again, that's a rather ethnocentric analysis of another civilization; using Western terms to classfy a foreign religion.

It's much like trying to even fir Hinduism and Buddhism into the context of the monotheistic/polytheistic duality that described the conflict between Judaism and the religions of Sumer, Egypt, Babylon, etc. "Polytheism" simply doesn't amply describe the theology of Hinduism for instance unless one is not trying to understand it. On that same criteria, I could talk about Christianity as polytheistic because a lot of Christians believe in these things called "The Trinity" "Saints" and "The Devil" but that would show that I am not trying to understand Christian theology.

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 11:39 PM
            they're never gonna find Earth...they find it, then the show ends.

Mon, August 22, 2005 - 12:22 AM
              "they're never gonna find Earth."
              I agree.

Canada is part of the US/UK anglophonic, "democratic" nations. It's the US's little sister.

China has the largest number of potential combatants, but doen't have the tactical weapon backing to make them the serious global threat that a well run US or Russia would still be.
          • Unsu...

Mon, August 22, 2005 - 3:31 PM
            >Again, that's a rather ethnocentric analysis of another civilization; using Western terms to classfy a foreign religion.

Ian, I live in Japan, I think I would know. What I explained to you is how it's been explained to me by Japanese people, and via my own observations over the last couple of years. The Japanese are somewhat proud that they are secular, seeing religion used as a constant negative force in the world.
            • Unsu...

Mon, August 22, 2005 - 3:36 PM
              If I used ethnocentric terminology in my previous post, then that simply reflects the limitations of the English language to adequately "de-westernize" my statement. If you disagree, I challenge you or anyone else to then describe the situation in Japan using English without a ethnocentric slant.
              • Unsu...

Mon, August 22, 2005 - 4:53 PM
                Shit, I wish I could delete those posts, because I think they are too heavy-handed and irritated sounding, which is not what I wanted to convey.

I apologize Ian if you take any offense.

What I mean to say is that I don't believe it's being ethnocentric to say Shinto is not considered a religion by the Japanese. If a religion is defined as a system of beliefs (which may be an ethnocentric definition originally, but it's held by the people here as well), and if the Japanese don't believe in Shinto, then it's no more a religion than say westerners and superstitions. It's just a set of rites that they conduct for more or less superstitious/traditional reasons. In many cases the culture demands it. I think to label it as a religion is, in fact, ethnocentric.

I realize this has nothing to do with BSG (and the continued thread is entirely my fault), so everyone please feel free to skip these messages with my apologies.

Incidentally I agree with the earlier statement that BSG will never find Earth. Although I think they might have a couple of close calls that will make convienient cliff-hangers in the future.

Mon, August 22, 2005 - 6:36 PM
                  I've always felt that relgion should be a guideline for a persons life and not the be all n all. I've always questioned that to many nuns, brothers and priests. Maybe that's why I was beaten by my teachers in Catholic school.

Mon, August 22, 2005 - 6:38 PM
                  "Although I think they might have a couple of close calls that will make convienient cliff-hangers in the future."

I think they'll also have close calls just as what happened in the original series.

Recent topics in "Battlestar Galactica"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Blood & Chrome Online... Frozenstars 4 December 27, 2012
FP Review: Aircraft Carriers in Space Frozenstars 2 October 2, 2012
Caprica Mike 30 December 16, 2011
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Devon 0 November 19, 2011